Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Debut

The video above is the first Filipino American Film to be released theatrically nationwide on year 2000.This movie shows the problems between families and the difference of the immigrant people and the second generation people. The difference between first generation and second generation people is how the way they raise. The parents of first generation are likely old school style; they are strict to their child, the Dad are working and the mom is staying home to focus on raising their child well mannered. Since the parent of the second generation migrated, they have to work to survive and adjust with the new environment thus no time for their children to be taught disciplined.  Anyway, the movie revolves with the Senior high school guy name Ben. He plans to go on an Art University College but his father disagree. Even though, he still want to go and run away from his family on the 18th Birthday of his sister name Rose. But to his surprise, his sister's birthday challenges his sense of Identity, and the way he regard his family. On that night he found out the true meaning of relationship of family and friends.

This Filipino American film reminds me a lot of my family but of course I'm also a Filipino so it's no surprise. I understand how Ben's feel about his Father deciding what course Ben going to take. The similar way happen to me but my family didn't decide what course I gonna take instead they suggest it over and over again. They using a psychological technique on me. For example, a kid brag about what they want to their parents until the parents got annoy and give what their children to shut them off. Good think I study Psychology when I was high school. When I notice that they brag about getting a nursing career well I told them what career I want to master and that is specialize in computer ( computer science, graphic and design, etc). After that they stop bragging about nursing. If I let them brag about getting a nursing degree well it's going to be complicated for me to know what field of computer I want to take. So, talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment